What is a Snowflakes Family Evaluation?
We appreciate your interest in using the Snowflakes Family Evaluation (SFE). The SFE allows Snowflakes adopting parents, regardless of the state they reside in, the option of receiving their required evaluation directly from Nightlight rather than a third party adoption agency. You receive the benefit of having the services coordinated and provided by a Snowflakes professional social worker, often at a lower cost than a traditional adoption home study.
Nightlight is committed to providing you with excellent educational programs and guidance to prepare you to be knowledgeable and loving adopting parents. Our intent is to help prepare you to parent your child, a child who you give birth to, but who isn’t related to you. The Snowflake Family Evaluation will be different for each embryo adoption, as everyone has different histories and experiences they bring into the process. The Snowflakes Family Evaluation will take about 2-4 months to complete and will consist of education, interviews, and paperwork.
Topics that will be assessed and discussed with your family during the SFE include:
FAMILY BUILDING +
Before you begin the adoption process, you need to complete all your infertility treatments so you can truly be ready to be the best parent for your adopted child. If you become pregnant while in the adoption process, notify our office immediately. We will place your file on hold. When you are ready to consider adoption again – generally at least when your child is nearing their first birthday – call us to discuss re-activating your file.
If you have already been building your family through adoption, the adoption of your last child must be finalized, or the child must have been in your home for one year, whichever is longer. Concurrent participation in more than one adoption program is not allowed. This requirement is designed to provide adequate time for attachment and bonding with the child in your home before another child is brought into your family.
We are happy to answer any further questions you may have about the Snowflakes Family Evaluation. Call our Snowflakes Family Evaluation Coordinator at 970-663-6799 x143.
Getting Started with Your Snowflakes Family Evaluation
IMPORTANT!!! The Snowflakes Family Evaluation is only applicable to the Snowflakes Embryo Adoption Program and is non-transferable to a domestic, international or foster adoption service. None of the fees you pay for a Snowflakes Family Evaluation can be applied to licensed home study services provided by Nightlight.
FEE SCHEDULE FOR THE SNOWFLAKES FAMILY EVALUATION:
Snowflakes Family Evaluation: $1,500.00
Social Worker Travel Expenses: $300-$500.00 (Actual cost for travel to your home will vary depending upon your location. A cost estimate will be provided prior to travel and fees will be assessed after your home visit.)
Background Checks: $50.00 – $150.00 for two adults (Actual costs vary by state and by the number of people over the age of 18 living in the home. Each must have a background check.)
The process for a Snowflakes Family Evaluation is as follows:
- Complete your application with Snowflakes – the application is the starting signal for any Nightlight adoption program. The adoption application fee is $500.00. Once your application is received you will receive further instruction regarding next steps for beginning your Snowflakes Family Evaluation, including a checklist of items we will need to receive prior to the social worker being assigned, from the Snowflakes team.
- You must independently request FBI Clearances. It will include having fingerprints taken of you and your spouse. If any other adults (people over the age of 18) live in your home they will also need to complete this background check. Expenses associated with this step are not included in the $1500.00 Snowflakes Family Evaluation fee. There are two different ways in which you may request your FBI Identity History Summary, which are explained in detail on the FBI website.
- Option 1 is to have ink fingerprints taken by your local law enforcement agency and then submit your request directly to the FBI. Though this option only costs $18 per person, current estimates by the FBI state that it can take anywhere from 12-16 weeks to receive the results.
- Option 2 is to submit your request to an FBI-approved Channeler, which is a private business that has contracted with the FBI to receive the fingerprint submission and relevant data and has been given access by the FBI to their database so that they can give the same results as would be available through Option 1 to the individual. If you choose to use this option you may choose any of these approved FBI Channelers. We would recommend that you use Fieldprint, Inc. Fieldprint has locations that provide digital, or “Live Scan”, fingerprinting in all 50 states for a flat fee of $50 per person. Results are received in 3-5 business days.
- Once your Snowflakes Family Evaluation checklist has been completed a social worker will be assigned and will be contacting you to coordinate a mutually agreeable time for home visit. The remaining $500 towards the study would be due at the time of the home visit and travel expenses will be invoiced after submission to Snowflakes by the traveling social worker. The travel expense portion of your SFE fee must be received before the SFE can be released to the Snowflakes program team.
Are you ready to start your embryo adoption journey? After reading the Snowflakes Information Packet and FAQs, please contact Deb, our Snowflakes Inquiry Specialist, at 970-663-6799 x 123 and she will help you get started on your Snowflakes Embryo Adoption application.