Nightlight’s Peru adoption program was put on hold in 2015. Though we have a wonderful history of adoptions from Peru, we recommend families pursue one of our other programs at this time.
The Peru Adoption Program is run by our affiliate office A Helping Hand Adoptions. The Republic of Peru is a country in western South America. It is bordered on the north by Ecuador and Colombia, on the east by Brazil, on the southeast by Bolivia, on the south by Chile, and on the west by the Pacific Ocean. Spanish is the primary language of the country, 80% of Peruvians speak the language. It coexists with several indigenous languages, the most important of which is Quechua. Due to poverty and high birth rates, there are many children in Peru who have been abandoned or live on the streets. The numbers are staggering, as hundreds of thousands of children are in need of a permanent home. Peruvian adoption is an excellent way for families and single parents alike to add to their families and provide a child a loving home.
Peru is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, all intercountry adoptions between Peru and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
2. Begin your adoption home study and submit form I-800A to CIS.
3. Begin to assemble your dossier. We will give you detailed instructions.
4. Once CIS has approved your adoption home study, you will receive your I-797C pre-approval notice.
5. Once your CIS approval has been received your dossier is complete, you will be registered to adopt in Peru.
6. MIMDES will add you to a list of waiting families and it can take 3 to 6 months to receive a referral.
7. Once you have accepted your referral, we will begin the I-800 process with USCIS.
8. You will then travel to Peru to receive your child and attend court.
9. The final step is to obtain the US visa for your child and returning home. Most families will remain in Peru for 23 to 29 days for the adoption process to be completed.
10. The children reside in orphanages while awaiting adoption.
11. Peru adoptions can take on average from 9 to 12 months to complete.
TRAVEL & ADOPTION
Peru Adoption Program Details:
- Program cost will range from $26,219-$31,519
- Children will be 6 years of age or older
- Adopting parents must be under 55 years of age
- Referral time will be an estimated 12 months