Panama is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, all intercountry adoptions between Panama and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.
- View Waiting Children
- Both boys and girls are available for adoption.
- Children as young as 4 years and as old as sixteen are available for adoption.
- Sibling groups are available.
- Children with Special Needs are available for adoption.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
- Make application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
- Begin your adoption home study and submit form I-800A to CIS.
- Begin to assemble your dossier. We will give you detailed instructions.
- Once CIS has approved your adoption home study, you will receive your I-797C pre-approval notice.
- Once your CIS approval has been received your dossier is complete, you will be registered to adopt in Panama.
- SENNIAF will add you to a list of waiting families and it can take 18 to 48 months to receive a referral, the length of time varies based on the age of the child you wish to adopt. The younger the child, the longer the wait for referral.
- You will then travel to Panama to meet and bond with your child (a minimum of 4 weeks for bonding).
- If all parties agree to the adoption, Nightlight will begin processing the family’s I-800.
- You will attend court and after the ruling the attorney will obtain a new birth certificate and passport for your child.
- The final step is to obtain the US visa for your child and returning home. Most families will remain in Panama for a minimum of 150 days for the adoption process to be completed.
- In a case of adopting a child with special needs the time in the country may be somewhat reduced.
- The children reside in orphanages while awaiting adoption.
- Panama adoptions can take on average from 36 to 60 months to complete.
TRAVEL & ADOPTION
The program fee for a Panama adoption is $18,500. Additional estimated expenses of $20,560 – $30,360 will bring the total cost to approximately $39,060 – $48,860. In addition, your out-of-pocket expenses may further be reduced if you receive scholarships or other employer-provided adoption benefits. For additional fee information, please see Exhibit A.
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
Panama Adoption Program Details:
- Program cost will range from $39,060 – $48,860
- Children will be 4 years of age or older
- Adoptive parents must be between 25 and 55 years of age
- Referral time for the Panama program averages 3-5 years
More Information on Panama Adoptions