Kyrgyzstan was part of the former Soviet Union. It is located south of Kazakhstan and is now an independent republic. The capital city is Bishkek. Kyrgyzstan is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, all intercountry adoptions between Kyrgyzstan and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention. Kyrgyzstan adoptions are conducted through a collaborative effort of a Hague accredited adoption agency in the US and by the Kyrgyzstan Central Adoption Authority (The Ministry of Labor and Social Development).
- Both boys and girls are available for adoption.
- Children as young as 2 years and as old as fifteen are available for adoption. (wait time for a referral of a child under 4 years old can be up to 3 years.)
- Sibling groups are available.
- Children with Special Needs are available for adoption.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
- Make application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
- Begin your adoption Home Study and submit form I-800A to CIS.
- Begin to assemble your dossier. We will give you detailed instructions.
- Once USCIS has approved your I800A petition, you will receive your I-797C pre-approval notice.
- Once your USCIS approval has been received – your dossier is complete and you will be registered to adopt in Kyrgyzstan.
- The Kyrgyzstan Central Authority will add you to a list of waiting families and it can take 18 to 36 months to receive a referral.
- Upon referral acceptance, Nightlight will begin processing the family’s I-800.
- You will then travel to Kyrgyzstan for your first trip to meet and bond with your child (a minimum of 10 days for bonding).
- 6-8 weeks later you will travel to Kyrgyzstan for your court hearing.
- Approximately 35 days after your court hearing, you will travel back to Kyrgyzstan for the final step of the process to obtain the US visa for your child and returning home.
- The children reside in orphanages while awaiting adoption.
- Kyrgyzstan adoptions can take on average from 24 to 48 months to complete.
Within 30 days of your arrival home, you must have a home visit by your Home Study provider. Your Home Study provider will prepare post-adoption reports and submit them to Nightlight at 1 month, 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, and 36 months after the adoption is finalized. These reports include your child’s developmental progress and pictures. This is a very serious commitment; Nightlight is committed to showing the Kyrgyzstan Adoption authorities that children adopted by US citizens are healthy and well cared for. Compliance with post adoption reports is also required by the Hague Convention. Therefore, Nightlight charges a fee to monitor and process these post adoption reports and also requires families to pay for the cost of the post adoption reports in advance.
Please contact Kate Feeback, at email@example.com or 970-663-6799 with any questions.
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
Kyrgyzstan Adoption Details
- Program cost is $25,000
- Children will be 12 months of age or older
- Adoptive parents age requirements to be no more than 45 years older than the adopted child
- Married couples and single women may apply
- It will take between 9-12 months to complete the adoption process
- Three trips to Kyrgyzstan are required