Adoptions in Honduras are completed through a collaborative effort that includes a Honduran attorney working directly with the Honduran Central Authority called Direcciόn de Ninez, Adolescencia y Familia translation The Department of Children, Adolescents, and Family (DINAF), the government agency that authorizes all domestic and international adoptions. DINAF ensures that the child is eligible for adoption and no biological family members are willing and able to care for the child.
- View available children
- Honduran children available for adoption range from 3 years of age to pre-teens.
- Both boys and girls are available for adoption, with no preference given to either sex.
- Children are either Caucasian or of Hispanic ancestry.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
- Married couples and single women may adopt from Honduras.
- Applicants must be between 25 and 60 and must be at least 15 years older than the child they wish to adopt.
- Married couples must be married a minimum of 3 years and Honduras will accept no more than 2 divorces per applicant.
- Honduras gives preference to couples with less than 3 children currently in the home.
1. Make application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
2. Begin your adoption home study and submit form I-600A to USCIS.
3. Travel to Honduras to submit a letter of intent and Dossier to Honduras in person.
4. DINAF will confirm that the adoptive family has been approved by the USCIS to adopt a child and that they have a completed home study. Once your completed dossier has been evaluated, the case is presented to the DINAF adoption advisory council for a final decision on the adoption.
5. For children under 5 years old, the adoptive parents will be notified of a referral approximately 12 months to 24 months after the dossier is submitted. The younger the child you wish to adopt, the longer the wait for a referral. Families interested in adopting children over the age of 5 years old, can expect a referral within 6 to 12 months of registering their dossier in Honduras.
6. Approximately 2 to 4 weeks after the adoptive parents accept their referral, they will prepare for their 2nd trip to Honduras. The trip will take approximately 5-10 days. During this trip, the prospective adoptive parents will meet with DINAF for interviews and a psychological evaluation. Adoptive parents will also meet their referred child.
7. Approximately 2 to 4 months after the 2nd trip, prospective adoptive parents will make a 3rd trip to sign paperwork. Both parents are required for the first 3 trips. The 3rd trip is approximately 5 to 7 days.
8. Approximately 1 month after the 3rd trip is the final trip. This trip will last approximately 8 to 14 days. During the final trip, the court process will be completed, adoptive parents will obtain custody of their child and apply for the US visa. The 3rd and 4th trips can be combined if one or both parents wants to remain in country for 4 to 6 weeks.
9. Finally, you may travel back to the United States with your child. Please note that all timelines are estimates and may vary.
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
Honduras Adoption Program Details
- Program cost will range between $29,600-$37,600.
- Children will be 3 years of age or older
- Parents age must be at least 15 years older than the child they are adopting.
- Referral time is typically 12-24 months depending on the family’s openness to age, gender, and special need
More Information on Honduras Adoption